I’m so impressed with my kids this week. The girls (2.5 years old) have been eating the Roasted Beet and Walnut Spread like it’s candy. They’ve been dipping crackers, cucumbers, sugar snap peas and spoons into this stuff all week. I have a feeling this is going to go in the rotation quite often. They were asking for more today, but they already ate it all! And my son (6 years old) is asking when we are going to make the Strawberry Beet Smoothie again. FYI: Trader Joe’s sells packaged roasted peeled beets. Obviously, they are more expensive than buying loose beets, but if you don’t have the time to roast them yourself, they are a great alternative. Beets are so nutritious that I say go for it!
I’m wrapping up “Beet Week” with 2 outstanding recipes! The first is a light summer salad and the second a fudgy decadent dessert.
Citrus Farro Salad w/ Golden Beets
- 2-3 large golden beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- Beet greens, chopped
- 1 cup orange slices
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked farro
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut beets in half or quarters and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Cover with another piece of foil and roast until tender, about 50-60 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel off the skins, then cut the beets into bite-size chunks
- In large bowl, combine cooked farro, beets, beet greens, celery, and oranges. Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over the farro mixture and toss well to combine.
I mean, who doesn’t love a good cupcake, right? And if it’s packed with nutrition, even better. These do have more sugar than I would normally use, but they sounded so intriguing, I just had to try them.
Mmmm, fresh out of the oven. I could ever so slightly taste the beet flavor, but I can pretty much guarantee if you didn’t know it was in there, you wouldn’t taste it. So, feel free to serve them up to your healthfood adverse friends.
I have just recently discovered the blog where this recipe came from, The Minimalist Baker. I’m already a fan. Lots of good looking recipes there, so take a look around after you download the recipe for these cupcakes!
Are you a beet lover? How do you like to eat your beets?
Next up will be all about Cantaloupes! It’s M’s favorite food. I can’t wait to experiment with all the yummy ways to use it.